Pete Souza/White House
The Fix over at the Washington Post—a political staple in this election year—has a little bit of election analysis out for us the night after the president of the United States slow jammed the news with Jimmy Fallon. The Fix pronounces the meme of the race: Barack Obama is cool. Mitt Romney is not. (There’s some serious analysis of the “coolness gap” after that, but I’m still stuck on the pronouncement itself.)
I’ll allow that Mitt Romney doesn’t seem that cool. That preppie vibe, that business-like, you know, thang he has going. But I’m really not looking to date the POTUS. I just want a leader who doesn’t FUBAR the economy, foreign policy, the military, and the country.
So let’s ask ourselves:
– 10k dead in Syria, how cool is that?
– Iran about to have the makings of a nuclear weapon, how awesome is that?
– Islamists on the march throughout the Arab world, how rockin’ is that?
– Russia’s return to dictatorship, how sweet is that?
– Al Qaeda taking over Yemen, how wicked is that?
Really, who wants a President Cool? I’d settle for a President Grown-up.
Danielle Pletka is the Vice Preident of Foreign and Defense Policy Studies at AEI.